Friday, June 26, 2009

Milleflore Rug Finally Complete!



Well, here it is in all it's glory!!! I made it and then took it apart and made it again! Thank goodness I only had to felt the wool and do the cutting once, but the rest has been done twice.... I did not like my choice of thread color the first time, and although it is not seen, it just would not do! People often get a good laugh about these things with me. It is not unusual for me to make something more than once before it is "good enough"

Anyway, I have now listed it on Etsy. Here is the info! Enjoy.....

This is a beautiful, high quality wool Milleflore rug. This rug was made using a traditional rug making technique that was popular in the United States between 1870 and 1880. It is a type of standing wool rug called a "beaded rug", and it is the pattern that is named "milleflore" after the beads by this name. It consists of a series of different patterned circles, surrounded by 2 rows of gray border. When sewn together, these circles take on somewhat of hexagon shape.

This is a very sturdy rug. It is made from recycled, felted wool. The peacock color has 15% mohair in it, and the other colors are 100% wool. It is stitched together using a high quality, mercerized heavy cotton thread. The process of making this rug is time consuming, from the felting of the wool, to the cutting and rolling, and then stitching the circles together. The final step was stitching the border "beads" together one by one.

The size is 21 inches (53 cm) from point to point and about 19 inches (48 cm) from side to side. The rug is a little more than 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick. It is firm and dense.

The colors in the rug are charcoal gray, peacock (teal), and a striped wool that has a mixture of a purpleish fuchsia, dark green, peacock and light gray.

6 Comments:

Made by SwirlyGirl said...

Beautiful, Kelley, and interesting about the process!

bijouxboutique said...

Oh Kelley this is so beautiful I love it, and the colours look great together, just out of interest how long did the whole process take?

Kenna Elizabeth said...

Hello Kelley,

I heard from MadebySwirlyGirl that my photo were featured on an etsy-mini of yours somewhere, so I did a little quest and found your lovely blog! Thannk you so much for featuring both "Dive" (CA coast) and "Allure" (AZ waterfall)!! What a pleasant surprise. And it was fun to read your latest post-- reminded me so much of my own do, re-do perfectionistic ways! :) Glad to see it's not just me. Sending warm wishes and smiles!
~Kenna

Kenna Elizabeth said...

HA! Figures I just noticed a typo above AFTER I posted! Awwww... well. NOT re-doing! ;)

Lisa Crone said...

Wow, fabulous! You are so talented!

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Kelley, what a gorgeous rug. Lovely work!
Peace, Judi