Friday, June 19, 2009

Potluck Friday - Painting tip

TGIF everyone! This has been a crazy week for me. Started off a little behind with paperwork and some household projects. Then, started having headaches late Monday - they have been a nuisance and a definite obstacle all week. Some good news- found out I am going to be a guest at a small craft show in just 2 weeks! Whoa- I have never done anything like that before. Then, just yesterday, someone asked me if I wanted to participate in a booth with them at a local music festival. So, wow I have a lot to do! Have to get a little more inventory going and get myself all psyched up to overcome some of those people-fears! Looking forward to all of it. Meanwhile, I have not had much time to come up with a post for today. But, since it is Potluck Friday here in my blog-world, I remembered a tip that I was given a long time ago. Maybe one of you is doing this right now and it will help you out----

Ever tried to paint a room with any shade of red paint? Have a hard time getting it to look solid even after 3, 4 or even 5 coats of paint? Well, as a faux finisher, I have painted and glazed a lot of reddish colored dining rooms. So, here is a great solution- forget any kind of primer. Just get you a gallon of flat grey interior paint and paint it with that first. It needs to be a medium tone- not too light and not terribly dark. Ben Moore has a color called "Sweatshirt Grey" that we have used many times for this. It is perfect. Once you do this, you can go ahead with your Red color in any sheen you like. Most of the time, it will only take 2 coats of the red over the grey, and it will be a much richer and solid color than if it were painted over white.

Good luck. And have a great weekend!

0 Comments: